September 16, 2010

A song that makes me cry...

David and I had been married for 3 months when we got the word that he might be deployed to California for 4 months or Iraq for 18 months. Yes, you read right...18 months. We waited for the official word, like you do with the military, for several weeks.

One morning while I was getting ready for work and David was getting ready for class, the call came. David was NOT on the list to be deployed! Talk about the best news ever! We celebrated that evening with a wonderful dinner at Johnny Carino's and did some shopping.

When we got home, another call came. There had been a mistake. David was on the list to be deployed to Iraq. (I may have gone ballistic on his sergeant at this point. I may have called him a heartless son of a b*t*h. I may have grabbed the phone from David at one point and asked how I could count on my husband being safe if the men leading him weren't even able to read a list correctly.) I was heartbroken.

11 days later, David was off to train up for his deployment, and my mom was left to dry my tears.

29 days after that, David was sick. Really sick....and sent home! Bittersweet. I hated that he was sick, but I was soooooo glad to have him home!

While he was gone, I listened to this song and cried, like curled up in a ball on the floor...cried. This song helped me get through a really tough time.

No comments: