May 18, 2010

Success!!!

Last Friday we headed to Jenks so that I could run in The Aquarium Run....my first post-baby 5k!!! My goals for the race were to....

-Finish
-Run/jog the entire 3.1 miles
-Not be last

And I achieved all three!!! My time wasn't great, a very slow 36:17, but I didn't even care. I was so proud of the fact that I finished, and I had so much fun doing it! Running in a race is totally different than training and running alone. You have people to talk to, people to pace you, people to cheer you on. I'm hooked!!! I was also excited that I started out running with a good friend from college, Amanda. She ended up going ahead of me not too far into the race, but after she finished she ran back down the course to cheer me on. She gave me that extra push I needed to finish strong. I never would have thought that running would be the thing that would bring us back together!

I must also mention that my awesome hubby ran the race also, at a much quicker speed that I did. He finished almost 4 minutes before me. It was great having him right across the finish line to congratulate me on finishing. I am so glad that he started running again shortly after I did. I love having him to talk to about our runs, aches, and how challenging and rewarding this is. I'm proud of you, D!!!!

Next up....The Bricktown Blaze on June 12th. I can't wait!!!

After the race we headed back to Shalayna's (David's sister's) apartment to pack our things and head out for a quick bite to eat with her and her boyfriend before going to Bartlesville to see our precious boy. We ate lunch at Murphy's. YUM! Yes, I ate a hot cheeseburger, which completely defeated the purpose of running that morning. Ha! After lunch, my mom and I ran a few errands while David and Liam went home to take a nap before we headed to our niece's birthday party at 6. If you've been reading this blog long, you know that Liam goes to bed by 7:30...and that's pushing it. At about 7:15 he was done. I'm talking screaming, fit throwing in the middle of the party. DONE! So, we headed back to my parent's and called it an early night.

The next morning before the drive back to Norman, we went to Sooner Park to hopefully wear Liam out before the drive home. It worked. He slept almost the entire way. (Well, until the weather man came on the radio saying there was a tornado warning that we were driving straight into. We quickly exited the turnpike on a random highway, headed south and never even saw a sprinkle! Phew!!!) Here are some pics from the weekend...enjoy!


The night before we left, we had a few errands to run, so we decided to stop at McDonald's for a quick dinner. Liam just had to wear his daddy's hat while he ate.

I love that you can barely see his face when he's wearing one of his daddy's hats!

This guy loves going down slides! And, I think his Papa loves catching him at the bottom just as much!



This slide was a lot steeper than the others Liam had gone down, so I decided to go down with him. In order to get to the slide, I had to climb these crazy bars...butt in the air! Ha! I'm sparing you the pics David snapped of that!

Look at the determination in that face! We were about to leave and he decided he was going to go down the slide again with or without our help!

This pic was snapped before Liam almost fell asleep in the swing! He was exhausted and ready for the car ride home!!!
We had a wonderful weekend. In about a week my summer break starts and it will be like the weekend everyday for me. I can't wait!!!!!

1 comment:

LB said...

Awesome job, Amanda! I agree, running in a race is amazing!

Liam is such a cutie. I'm still wanting to meet him. Maybe this summer when you have some more free time?