May 4, 2010

Running injury

Running has been going very well. I'm absolutely loving the time I spend on the road, with my own thoughts. I'm discovering very quickly that positive thinking can carry me a long ways when I think I can't go any further. I never thought I would be ready to run a 5k after four weeks of running, but I am. David and I are both running in The Aquarium Run in Jenks, May 15th....that is if I can handle the pain after last night's injury. Here's what happened....

I was running along, so excited because I was at 2.8 miles, making great time and I had a lot of fuel left in my tank. I was finally going to hit my goal of 3.1 miles. Billie Jean was playing and I was thinking back to one of the first times David and I ever danced to that song...ladies night at Joes.....almost eight years ago...when I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my calf. I turned around to see a fat little dog running away from me as fast as its fat little legs would carry it. I looked down at my calf to see the damage......
The owner was nice enough to put down his beer and chase his dog down, then ask if I was okay. I hunched over, stunned, for a couple of minutes and then made the 1/2 mile trek back to our house, trying to hold it together. As soon as David opened the door for me, I lost it. I was in so much pain! We called Animal Welfare, and they came out and got our info., then went to talk to the dog's owner. Thankfully, the dog's rabies vaccines are up to date. I went to the doctor today as a precaution. He gave me a Tetanus shot and some antibiotics in hopes of avoiding an infection. Ugh! I'm going to try to run again tomorrow...hopefully after two days the pain will be bearable!

2 comments:

Casey said...

Gosh that is horrible!!! I'm glad that you went to the Dr and got checked out!

LB said...

Geez! I went running this week and a little chihuahua made a beeline viciously for me, and I audibly said, "Ahhhhhh!" (sometimes you forget how loud you are when you're jammin on your iPod). Luckily, that dog was on a leash. Those little dogs can be as vicious as the big ones. That looks like it hurts, Amanda. Good luck in your race! I think it's awesome that you're doing that!