October 16, 2009

Out of Retirement!

Yesterday's news of Garth coming out of retirement was HUGE news in my world, because you know how much I love Garth Brooks! I would even go as far as to say that I used to be obsessed with Garth. Growing up my room was plastered with Garth pictures. I even had a life-sized cut out of him hanging on my closet door that my dad helped me dig out of the dumpster at McDonalds....obsessed! As I've matured I have grown out of the obsession. Now I just love Garth as an artist and performer. I have been lucky enough to see him in concert 3 times and actually met him 6 years ago while doing a little Christmas shopping in Tulsa. Heres how the encounter went...

My mom and I were in an OU/OSU store when I saw him looking at OSU sweatshirts. I couldn't believe my eyes, so I ran to my mom and said, "Mom! I think it's Garth!" I then grabbed her arm and pulled her to the rack where he was shopping. All I could do was stare at this larger than life man who was now staring back at me. He then stuck his hand out toward me and said, "Hi. I'm Garth Brooks." I seriously almost fainted. It really was him! All I could think of to say was, "I'm Amanda and I've been in love with you since I was 12 years old!" He laughed and said, "How old are you now?" We continued to talk for 10 minutes or so about shows I'd been to, Stillwater, Eskimo Joes, family, my (at the time) fiance, my career and many other things. Garth actually thanked me for being such a great fan and then we said our good-byes. Mom and I got in line to pay when Garth came to the front of the store. He then chose my line and started up another conversation with my mom and I. To this day I am so impressed by Garth's willingness to take time from his day to make me feel like I wasn't just another fan, but someone he appreciated and was interested in knowing.

So...back to the point...Garth is coming out of retirement to perform a series of shows in Sin City at The Wynn. Anyone up for a trip to Vegas?!?!?!

3 comments:

Casey said...

ME I WANNA GO!!!!! We could celebrate our 30's :)

LB said...

Me, me! I want to go. I think I vaguely remember that little fact about you! :)

Christie said...

As soon as I heard that news on the morning show, I instantly thought of you. =) Were you able to see him in Stillwater any last weekend? I saw him really quick in the parade, but thats all. That's so sweet how you actually got to meet him and carry on a real conversation with him. =)