June 14, 2010

Liam's first baseball game and another 5k

Three years ago, David and I were having a bad morning. A really bad morning. We had been trying to get pregnant for several months, and the monthly visitor came that told us we weren't expecting. On top of that, I got a phone call saying that the father of one of my students had passed away. We were really bummed, so we decided to do some of our favorite things to keep our minds off of all the bad stuff for a while. We started out the day by eating lunch at Van's Pig Stand. Then, we went to Penn Square and did some shopping. After that, we headed to Bricktown to eat at Hooters (I love Hooters...their fried pickles are amazing!) and to go to a Redhawk's game. While we were waiting on the game to start, a 5k race was finishing on the field. We watched all the runners crossing the finish line and I decided that one day I wanted to run the Bricktown Blaze.....well, I did just that this past Saturday!

The race was miserable! It started at 5:30, which means a temp of about 95...too hot to be running!!! There were several times in the race when I thought about just giving up, but then I'd see a little piece of shade coming up or a water station, and I'd keep pushing. It was so fun to cross the finish line on the field! My time was pathetic. I'm not even going to share it on here. But...I finished 22/41 in my age group. Not too bad considering the heat!

After the race, we stayed for the baseball game. Liam had so much fun! His nana and Uncle Bear came into town to watch him during the race and go to the game with us. Here are some pics from the night....

The racers got bananas before the race, and of course Liam stole mine! This kid loves a good nana!!!
He also stole my water! I'm so thankful my mom was there. She did a great job of keeping up with Liam while I took it easy and waited for the race to start. Thanks, Mom!!!
David and I before the race....
Our little family pre-race...
David's best friend, Ryan, ran the Blaze also. He did great! He finished 3rd in his age group. (He's in the orange shirt.)
David did awesome, also. He definitely improved his time from our last 5k!
All three of us post-race. (I have a pic of me crossing the finish line, but I'm choosing not to post it....it's AWFUL!)
Nana and Liam...listening to Dada's iPhone....love this pic!
Liam and I with Chris Davis in the background. I really wanted his autograph, but didn't have the nerve to call him over to us. (No, my child is not wearing a shirt. Please don't judge. He was HOT!)
Liam was so excited when he spotted the Redhawk. He kept clapping and pointing at him. So, my brother and I took Liam down to meet him. Liam continued clapping and pointing until the bird got close by. Liam gave him a high five, and then lost it! This is the best pic we could get of Liam and the Redhawk!
We stayed at the game until the very end, which put Liam being up 3 hours past his bedtime, but he did great. He was out cold within seconds of being in his car seat and never made a sound when I transferred him to his crib. I'm so thankful I have such a great sleeper!!!!

1 comment:

Casey said...

Such cute pics!!! Ya'll did great, so proud of you for running the marathon. Wish I could do it with you sometime!