October 28, 2008

Darn Genetics!!!

As some of you may know, I have been struggling to keep my blood pressure at a normal level. The problems started when I was about 19 weeks pregnant. We had gone in for an ultrasound and my doctor mentioned that my bp was a little high. He suggested I cut salt out of my diet and come back in two weeks. So, I began my very bland diet and assumed the problem would be solved. Two weeks later, I head back to the doctor and guess what...my bp had gone up even higher. I asked the doctor why my blood pressure was going up and he blamed it on genetics! Thanks, MOM! ; ) So, the doctor put me on bp meds and asked me to come back in three days. Three days later, the meds hadn't started working and my bp was still high. So, for about two weeks I was going to the doctor every three days to have my bp checked. (On a positive note, I was getting to hear Liam's heartbeat every time I went in!) Then, finally, the meds kicked in and my bp dropped to a perfectly safe level.  I was so relieved! I was starting to worry that I would be put on bed rest almost 4 months before Liam's due date. I would have gone crazy!!! Also, I was given the green light to coach basketball. I was so pumped!!! Well, that relief lasted for about 3 weeks. 

Last week I noticed that my fingers were starting to swell, so I started to monitor my bp again. The first time I checked it, it was a little high. I thought that it was probably because I had just cooked dinner. The next day I checked it again and it was a little higher. Then, yesterday I checked my bp while watching The Young and the Restless and it was ridiculous high! I immediately started to flip out, which I'm sure helped lower my bp. Ha! Anyway, I called my doctor today to give him an update and he asked me to come in after school. So, I went in with the thoughts of bed rest looming over my head. The doctor checked my bp, and of course, it was high. He proceeded to tell me to up my bp meds dosage and to cut back on all physical activity, including work! What?!?! How am I supposed to "cut back on work?" So, I asked about coaching. He quickly told me that I should NOT be coaching. Then, he looked at my chart again and told me that I could continue to work as long as I limited my daily activity to work only. No shopping, no cooking, no cleaning! All I can do is go to work, come home, and lay on the couch. Some of you may be thinking that this sounds wonderful, but seriously!?!?! 3 months of nothing but work?!?! I think I may go crazy, but I guess it's better than complete bed rest, which still may come.

I go back to the doctor on Monday to find out if the extra dosage of meds and the decrease in activity has helped lower my bp. If not, the doctor said that I'll probably be put on bed rest for the remainder of my pregnancy. Thankfully, Liam is handling the high bp well. He is still active and his heart rate is still perfect. I keep thinking to myself how worthwhile this will all be. Liam is my light at the end of the tunnel!!!

2 comments:

LB said...

Sorry about everything!!! It'll all work out. Stick in there! I love your updates.

amanda said...

i'm glad to hear that you and baby liam are okay. if you need some help, let me know. i can come down and wheelchair you around the boutiques and target so you will not have to use any of your own energy. also, i think this gives you the green light to use the motorized baskets at the grocery store. score!!!